American Bullies require plenty of protein in their diet in order to stay healthy and maintain their large muscular structures. As a result, it’s imperative to select a food product that supports muscle growth and immune system health and is packed full of all the necessary nutrients.
The best dog food for an American Bully is the Merrick Backcountry Raw Infused Dog Food. This product is excellent because it’s high in protein, grain-free, and uses very little filler. Plus, it contains raw meat that has been freeze-dried to provide your American Bully with more protein.
The only instances in which I wouldn’t recommend Merricks Backcountry Dog Food is if:
- You’re on a budget. In this case, Taste of the Wild (available on Amazon.com) with ancient grains and high protein is a much better choice.
- Your dog is overly active. Then, you should go with Bully Max High-Performance Super Premium (available on Amazon.com).
- Your dog has a sensitive stomach. You should choose Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein (available on Amazon.com).
In the rest of this article, I’ll discuss the four best dog foods for an American Bully in extensive detail. I’ll be going over each of these products and answering a few common questions about feeding Bullies. Therefore, if you want to learn more about what to feed your Bully, be sure to read on.
Factors To Consider
Whenever you’re purchasing a new brand of dog food, there are a few factors you should always consider:
- What ingredients are present.
- How much “filler” has been added to the food.
- What kinds of preservatives have been used.
- If the food is gluten-free.
- How other dog owners feel about it.
- If the manufacturer is frequently issuing recalls.
Quality ingredients are essential when it comes to dog food. Dogs will best tolerate foods made with real meat and whole ingredients. American Bullies especially need quality dog food as they tend to have more sensitive stomachs and need more protein from their diets.
I’ll be comparing some of the essential nutrients below.
Protein and Vitamin Content
As previously stated, the nutrient content is essential, especially when feeding your American Bully. So let’s take a deeper look at the nutrients contained in each of these top food picks.
|Brand of Food||Nutrient List||Crude Protein||Crude Fat||Overall Rating|
|Merrick Backcountry Raw Infused Grain Free, Large Breed, Freeze Dried Dog Food||Omega-6 fatty acid, omega-3 fatty acid, glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, vitamin E, vitamin A, B-12, etc.||38%||17%||4.8/5|
|Taste of the Wild with Ancient Grains and High Protein||Zinc, selenium, vitamin A, vitamin E, L-carnitine, taurine, omega-6 fatty acids, omega-3 fatty acids, glucosamine, etc.||32.0%||18%||4.6/5|
|Bully Max High Performance Super Premium Dog Food||Omega-6 fatty acid, omega-3 fatty acid, biotin, B-12, vitamin E, folic acid, vitamin A, etc.||30.0%||20%||4.5/5|
|Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein, Natural Adult Wet Dog Food||Vitamin B-1,B-2, B-3, B-5, B-7, B-12, potassium, folic acid, zinc, vitamin A, vitamin E, etc.||10.0%||9%||4.3/5|
Winners: Merrick Backcountry and Taste Of The Wild
A comprehensive understanding of the ingredient list of your dog food is crucial, as not all dog foods are made the same. For example, a product with a higher percentage of crude protein is better, especially for muscular dogs like Bullies.
If you’re looking for the best food for your American Bully, I recommend looking no further than the Merricks Backcountry Dried Dog Food. This food isn’t only affordable but packed with high protein and equipped with low amounts of useless fillers.
Merricks utilizes raw meat by freeze-drying it while also boasting a grain-free status, which is excellent for dogs with sensitive stomachs. However, you should consult a veterinarian before switching your American Bully to a grain-free diet, as some dogs don’t do well on one. Additionally, there have been studies showing grain-free diets can lead to heart problems in some breeds.
On the other hand, Merrick products feature lots of quality ingredients such as:
- Sweet potatoes.
Bottom line: I highly recommend Merricks Backcountry Dried Dog Food if you’re looking for a product that contains lots of protein and is made with whole, nutritious ingredients. This food will help support your American Bullies’ immune system, muscle structure, and overall health.
- Contains high levels of protein. American Bullies require high protein levels, so it’s essential to find a food that meets those requirements. Merrick products, for example, contain over 38% crude protein, which is high compared to most foods on the market.
- Utilizes quality ingredients. This food contains apples, blueberries, duck, chicken, and lamb, all of which are healthy foods for your dog to consume.
- Made with real meat. This brand of dry food also contains real meat. When a package states real meat, they use the whole animal instead of its by-products.
- It’s grain free. Finding good dog food that doesn’t contain any grain can be problematic. Merricks does a great job of making sure the food is still packed with nutrition. However, you should consult a vet before switching your Bully to a grain-free diet.
- It’s freeze-dried. This food contains bits of meat that have been freeze-dried to best preserve their nutrients and protein content. Freeze drying can prolong how long an ingredient is good for and maintain its nutritional value.
- It’s raw infused. As previously stated, this food contains freeze-dried raw meat. The freeze-drying process eliminates possible contaminants and halts the decomposition process, making it an excellent way for your pup to get in some extra protein.
- Some of the freeze-dried meat can be larger. Huge meat chunks can be a deterrent if your American Bully is more petite, especially if you find yourself having to break the chunks up for them.
- It may not be ideal for dogs with sensitive stomachs. Some owners have reported mild stomach upset with this dog food formula.
- Not all bags contain equal amounts of raw pieces. The amount of dried pieces of meat seems to vary with each bag.
Best Bang for the Buck: Taste of the Wild With Ancient Grains And High Protein
Next, if you’re searching for a good quality dog food product that won’t break the bank, I recommend trying Taste of the Wild with Ancient Grains. This product is excellent because it’s full of high-end nutrients for a relatively low price. Plus, it contains probiotics to support better gut health for your American Bully.
This food is an especially great choice if you want to keep grains as a part of your Bully’s diet. This Taste Of The Wild product contains healthy grains like millet and barley. Plus, they use real meat in all of their dry kibbles. This food also contains a good amount of crude protein at over 32%.
Moreover, the recipe contains many quality ingredients such as:
- Roasted duck.
- Roasted quail.
- Cracked pearled barley.
- Chia seed.
As you can see, quite a few quality ingredients are found in the Taste Of The Wilds Ancient Grains formula.
Bottom line: This food brand is fantastic if you want dry food packed with protein, natural ingredients, and essential nutrients for your American Bully. Plus, most owners who have tried this brand love it, and their dogs do too.
- Made with real roasted fowl. Bird meat is generally lower in fat which is excellent for dogs like Bullies who require foods that are high in protein and have a low fat content.
- Contains superfoods. For example, quinoa would be considered a superfood. Superfoods are foods that are extremely high in nutritional value.
- Has a nutrient-dense formula. This formula contains many healthy, nutrient-rich foods, from real meat to grains, fruits, and veggies.
- Contains probiotics. Another pro of this product has to do with the fact that it contains probiotics. The job of probiotics is to nourish the naturally occurring bacteria found in your stomach and intestines. Probiotics introduce good bacteria and improve gut health in both people and dogs.
- Some dogs won’t enjoy the flavor. Unfortunately, some pups may not like the smell or taste. The lack of interest is most likely due to the lack of artificial flavoring often used to entice dogs to eat food.
- Small kibble size. The small bites may result in larger dogs swallowing the food without adequately chewing it.
- It can cause intestinal distress for dogs with sensitive stomachs. A few owners reported cases of diarrhea or vomiting in their dogs after consumption. When switching dog food brands, monitoring your pet is essential.
Best Food for Active Dogs: Bully Max High-Performance Super Premium Dog Food
American Bullies are muscular dogs. They also tend to be quite active, so they need plenty of protein to support muscle growth and maintenance.Luckily, Bully Max specially formulated a line just for Bullies.
Bully Max’s food line is developed specifically for the American Bully’s muscle mass, growth, and weight maintenance needs. Moreover, this formula works well for dogs of all ages. Their food is also relatively low in fat and contains over 30% protein.
Bully Max also utilizes quality ingredients like:
- Chicken meal.
- Brown rice.
- Pearled barley.
- Fish meal.
- Dried kelp.
Bottom line: Bully Max is a fantastic choice if you want to grow your American Bully’s muscles or keep an overly active dog well fed. Additionally, you can rest easy knowing this food is high quality and has NEVER been recalled.
- Contains 535 calories per cup of food. This amount of calories is excellent if you want your dog to put on weight and grow larger muscles.
- Created especially for the American Bully. Of course, other dogs can also benefit from Bully Max’s formula. However, this food is created specifically for dogs with large muscles in mind.
- Great for dogs of all ages. Puppies, senior, and mid-aged dogs can benefit from this well-rounded formula. This formula is especially beneficial for dogs that are on the older or younger side, and need to gain weight.
- Has never been recalled. All Bully Max products are triple-checked before leaving the factory and shipped straight to your door.
- Doesn’t contain real meat. This formula heavily relies on ingredients like chicken meals instead of whole pieces of meat. Animals can still get necessary nutrition from meal. However, the real thing is always more nutrient-dense.
- Contains some fillers. The use of fillers in dog food is, unfortunately, quite common. Bully Max does utilize fillers like beet pulp.
- Has a higher fat content. The fat content is slightly higher than some other brands mentioned in this article.
- It’s expensive. Bully Max is possibly one of the most expensive dog food brands you can feed an American Bully. However, many enjoy this food and find it’s worth every penny.
Sensitive Stomach Pick: Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein, Natural Adult Wet Dog Food
Finally, there’s Blue Buffalo Wilderness Wet Food. This food is fantastic because, as far as wet food goes, this formula is relatively high in protein and is a great way to get more moisture into your Bullies diet.
Blue Buffalo is a popular brand that specializes in pet foods. This formula is especially high-quality because whole foods are used in its creation, and no harmful preservatives are added. Additionally, this specific recipe is made up of a blend of chicken and beef, making the food higher in protein yet lower in fat.
This wet food is also made with whole ingredients such as:
- Chicken broth.
- Chicken liver.
Bottom Line: This wet food is perfect for dogs with sensitive stomachs or Bullies that need to get more moisture into their diets. This food is high in protein and has an enticing flavor your American Bully will love.
- Contains real meat. The meat used in this recipe consists of whole pieces of meat and no animal by-products. Moreover, the real meat is a blend of chicken and beef, creating a tasty meal for your pup.
- Grain-free. This food is grain free, which can be suitable for dogs with sensitive stomachs or gluten intolerances. However, you should consult a veterinarian before switching your dog to a grain-free diet.
- Promotes higher energy levels. The protein, vitamins, and minerals found in Blue Buffalo’s High Protein Wet Food aid in keeping your pup active and energetic.
- Higher in fat. This food has a relatively high-fat content coming just below the protein percentage. However, a lot of the fat can be scraped off when you open the can. Still, it’s probably best to pair this wet food with another source of nutrients like dry kibble.
- Contains filler. Blue Buffalo uses potatoes as a filler, as do most dog food brands. Potatoes aren’t harmful to dogs; however, they don’t provide necessary nutrients for your pup.
- Has issued several recalls. Sadly this brand has had to issue a few recalls over the years. These recalls are by no means frequent, but the recalls do go back to 2007.
How Much Should I Feed My American Bully?
Next, I want to discuss how much you should feed your Bully. Bullies have complex nutritional needs that have to be balanced. So just how much should you be feeding yours each day?
You should feed your adult American Bully around 1900 calories a day. However, it’s best to cater to your dog’s unique needs by basing their diet on their weight and the instructions on the bag of dog food you’re using.
However, this number can vary based on the Bullies’ size. Larger breeds of Bullies will require more calories, while breeds like the pocket or micro Bully will likely need fewer. Varying caloric needs are the reason why weight is the best criteria off of which to calculate how much to feed your pup.
How Many Times a Day Should I Feed My American Bully?
Now that you understand how much to feed your dog, it’s time to discuss how often. Some people opt for providing constant access to food, others feed once daily, and some feed up to three times a day. So just how often should you feed your American Bully?
You should feed your American Bully at least twice per day. Just like people, dogs get hungry too. A hearty breakfast and dinner will give your dog much-needed daily nutrients and energy. It’s essential to track calories to ensure your dog gets the right amount of food.
You can also feed your dog 3 meals a day. Just be sure not to overfeed as this can lead to unwanted weight gain. If you’re feeding multiple meals daily, it’s best to break their daily calorie requirements down into the number of meals you’re feeding them.
Should American Bullies Eat a Grain-Free Diet?
There’s much debate about feeding your dog a grain-free diet. Many state that keeping your pup on a grain-free formula is healthier, while some professionals disagree. But what is the truth? Is a grain-free diet healthy for an American Bully?
American Bullies should eat a grain-free diet if they have sensitive stomachs or grain sensitivity or if a veterinarian has advised you to switch to one. Grain-free diets can be great for some dogs’ health and hard on others’. Some studies show that grain-free diets lead to heart problems.
So it’s always a good idea to double-check with your vet before switching your Bully to a completely grain-free diet.
Is Rice Good for American Bullies?
A prevalent grain found in many dog food formulas is brown rice, but is this grain good for your American Bully? Also, what about white rice?
Rice is good for American Bullies. However, brown rice is best as it’s high in protein and fiber. Many brands of dog food utilize rice as a grain in their ingredients. However, you can feed brown rice by itself to your Bully so long as it’s been cooked.
As you can see, brown rice can benefit your American Bully’s diet. Brown rice makes a great addition to a diet but does not provide a complete nutrient profile. Dogs like Bullies need plenty of protein and nutrients that can be found in meat and especially formulated kibble.
Should an American Bully Eat a Raw Diet?
American Bullies are large muscular dogs, so it’s only natural to wonder whether they will enjoy a raw diet. However, there are a lot of mixed feelings about this sort of diet.
An American Bully shouldn’t eat a raw diet. This diet doesn’t provide all the nutrients your dog needs to thrive. However, adding raw food bits can help boost your pet’s health. Always consult a vet before adding raw meat to a dog’s diet to avoid possible health problems.
That being said, many do successfully feed raw diets to their dogs. However, the process is complex, and if you don’t maintain specific nutrient levels in the food you’re providing, your Bully can become ill. Many dogs don’t enjoy raw diets, but you can always ask a professional to see what they think.
What Should I Not Feed My American Bully?
It’s no secret that American Bullies have sensitive stomachs. Therefore, ensuring they eat healthy whole foods and keep a consistent diet is crucial. So what exactly should you avoid feeding your Bully?
You shouldn’t feed your American Bully foods high in fat, table scraps, onions, garlic, or raw meat. Low-quality food can easily make your pup sick, and high-fat foods are incredibly unhealthy. As for raw meat, it can contain parasites if not adequately sourced.
Always use caution when feeding your American Bully something new. If you aren’t sure about a specific food, it’s best to google it (or better yet, consult your vet about it). However, table scraps are still terrible for your dog, and it’s best to stick to healthy dog food.
Ultimately, based on Merrick Backcountry Raw Infused Dog Food’s protein content, low-fat percentage, and high-quality ingredients, I have found it to be the best food for an American Bully.
Compared to other brands on the market, Merrick uses excellent ingredients and combines the best elements of a raw diet with kibble. Plus, most dogs love this formula, and it’s reasonably priced for such a high-end dog food.
- 4 Best Canned Dog Food for an American Bully
- 4 Best Dog Foods for an American Bully
- What Can I Feed My Bully To Build Muscle? Let’s Find Out!
- American Bully vs. American Bulldog
- American Bully Growth Chart
- Can You Run With an American Bully? Let’s Find Out!
- Why Do American Bullies Smell? Let’s Find Out