Selecting the best canned dog food for your American Bully can feel like a daunting task. Due to the breeds’ large muscular build, these dogs require a lot of high-quality nutrients to maintain a healthy body. Luckily, by keeping a few considerations and recommendations in mind, you’ll be able to find a canned food brand that perfectly caters to your dog’s needs.
The best canned dog food for an American Bully is the Nutro Adult High Protein Natural Wet Dog Food. It offers a wide variety of nutrients and is grain-free. Plus, it’s non-GMO and doesn’t contain any artificial preservatives.
The only instances in which you might not want to use the Nutro High Protein Wet Food are if:
- Your Bully is older and has more advanced nutritional needs. Go with Hill’s Science Diet Wet Dog Food (available on Amazon).
- Your American Bully is a growing puppy. Bully puppies require many nutrients to grow, so you should choose a food formulated specifically for pups. I recommend the Solid Gold Love At First Bark Holistic Rich Food (available on Amazon).
- You’re on a budget. You should go with the Purina Pro Plan Sport High Protein Wet Dog Food (available on Amazon).
In the rest of this article, I’ll discuss the four best canned dog foods for American Bullies in greater detail. I will also answer a few frequently asked questions about providing a healthy diet for Bullies. So, if you want to learn more about what canned foods to feed your beloved Bully, read on.
Factors To Consider
First, before I dive straight into the different types of canned foods that work well for American Bullies, you should consider a few factors. Purchasing dog food can often feel challenging since there are so many opinions on what constitutes healthy food for your pup. So what factors should you keep in mind when purchasing wet dog food for your Bully?
Wet food factors to consider:
- The food’s nutritional content. When selecting dog food, the ingredients are essential. You should avoid foods with fillers such as corn, potatoes, wheat, soy, and beet pulp when you can. These fillers provide no nutritional value and only make the food stretch further for less cost to the manufacturer.
- Preservatives used. Canned foods full of preservatives can lead to stomach problems in your Bully and even illness in some cases. Foods that rely less heavily on chemical preservatives are ideal.
- Ingredients added. Quality ingredients are imperative when it comes to feeding your pup canned food. Many low-quality dog foods include scrap bits of meat loaded with fat and filler vegetables to lower the cost of their products. So it’s essential to always read the ingredients list.
- How much plant protein the food is composed of. Dogs need a diet containing reasonable amounts of animal protein to maintain proper health. A little plant protein is fine, but when a food leans too heavily on plant protein, it can be detrimental to your pet’s health.
- The cost. It can be a difficult balance to find quality wet food in your budget. However, it’s important to note that more expensive doesn’t always mean better. Always read the ingredient list.
- Brands overall reviews. If a brand has terrible reviews, there is a good chance that their wet food isn’t good for your Bully. Reviews are a window into other pet owners’ experiences with the brand.
- How often the wet food has been recalled. If the brand you are considering is constantly being recalled, you might want to reconsider purchasing from them. Recalls mean there was a mishandling of ingredients or the product, which can make your pet ill.
As you research which wet food best suits your Bully, it’s essential to keep these factors in mind. So, on that note, let’s dive right in and learn precisely what your Bullies nutritional needs are.
American Bully Nutritional Needs
The American Bully is a squat dog with an intense amount of muscle, and to support that muscle, they need to maintain a high-quality, balanced diet. This means that Bullies need food that is high in protein and other essential nutrients. But what exactly are all their nutritional needs?
The American Bullies’ Caloric Needs
The average American Bully should be consuming around 1900 calories per day. However, if you own a larger breed of Bully, that number should be closer to 2700 calories.
If your dog is inactive and you have noticed rapid weight gain, you should consult a veterinarian. The weight gain may mean there is an underlying health issue or simply that your dog isn’t burning enough calories. If it’s the latter, your vet will likely reduce your Bullies’ daily calorie intake.
Regular checkups are a great way to ensure your dog is a healthy weight and getting enough nutrition in its diet.
The American Bullies’ Vitamin and Mineral Needs
Now that you understand how many calories your pup should consume daily, it’s time to discuss its nutritional needs. Of course, each dog breed will require slightly different nutrients to thrive. As for American Bullies, they require a good amount of protein to maintain their muscle mass, but what about all the other nutrients?
When selecting a good canned food for your Bully, it’s essential to remember that they need food with plenty of protein and fiber while being low in fat. Too much fat isn’t good for your pup, and many food brands use animal fat as filler. However, a little fat is still necessary for your pet’s health.
Nutrients found in canned food that support a healthy American Bully include:
- Vitamin E.
- Vitamin A.
- Healthy fats.
As you can see, there are quite a few essential nutrients that your Bully needs to stay happy and healthy. Luckily, quality dog food brands strive to ensure these nutrients are found in their products.
Best Overall: Nutro Limited Ingredient Diet Premium Canned Dog Food
Nutros Premium Canned Dog Food (available on Amazon.com) is excellent because whole bits of farm-raised chicken are used in the formula, rather than meat discards. This food is also grain-free, which can be beneficial if you have a Bully with a sensitive stomach.
Not to mention, this food is also non-GMO and doesn’t contain any preservatives. Moreover, being grain-free, you don’t have to worry about the use of corn fillers in their formula.
The only downside to this particular food is that it contains an ingredient called Carrageenan which can upset some dogs’ stomachs. Although the ingredient is perfectly safe, some dogs’ digestive systems don’t agree with it.
However, most who use this wet food report that their dogs love the stuff and are pleased with the product. Another great thing is that these cans can be purchased in a large pack. Plus, you can purchase them in different flavors such as:
Bottom line: I highly recommend Nutros wet food if you want high-quality wet food with plenty of whole protein for your Bully. This food brand is packed with essential vitamins and nutrients for your pup. It’s also relatively cheap compared to the other high-protein wet foods on the market.
- Non-GMO. Genetically modified food can increase a body’s chance of developing diseases immune to antibiotics. So you can rest easy knowing you don’t have to worry about such things with your Bully.
- Farm-raised chicken. When a chicken is farm-raised, it means it wasn’t subjected to the same growth hormones and forced to sit in a tiny cage its entire life. Farm-raised chicken is supposedly a healthier meat option.
- Grain-free. Again, some dogs prefer a grain-free diet. However, you should always consult a veterinarian before switching your dog to grain-free food, as it can sometimes lead to heart problems.
- No preservatives. Some preservatives are made of harsh chemicals that aren’t great for your American Bullies stomach, and removing those harsh preservatives results in a happier, healthier pup.
- No artificial flavors. The food relies entirely on natural flavors to entice your pup into eating it. This is great because many arrival flavorings utilize chemicals to mimic flavors.
- No artificial coloring. These sorts of fake color additives can actually be harmful to dogs and are highly unnecessary. So food without them is always a good thing.
- Partners with farmers to obtain quality ingredients. By using farm-fresh ingredients like chicken, carrots, peas, etc., Nutro ensures their food is made of only the best products.
- Contains less filler than most canned food. Fillers are unnecessary vegetables or animal fat used to bulk up the food while providing little to no nutritional value. Wheat, corn, soy, fat, and potatoes are often used as filler.
- Contains carrageenan. As previously stated, this substance can cause stomach upset in some dogs. Generally, American Bullies are prone to sensitive stomachs, so it’s a good idea to introduce new foods slowly. However, most dogs don’t have a problem with this ingredient in their food.
- Expensive. You truly get what you pay for when it comes to wet dog food, and this food is certainly worth the money. It’s a little pricey compared to the low-quality canned food you can find at your local grocery store; however, it’s a steal when it comes to the quality of ingredients.
- Not all dogs enjoy the flavor. Since there are no artificial flavors to entice your Bully, they may not enjoy the food. Some dogs simply choose not to sniff the food, while others eagerly scarf it down.
- It has a strange texture. The texture is very dense and chunky. As a human, this is highly unappealing. However, dogs don’t seem to mind.
Best Bang for the Buck: Purina Pro Plan Sport High Protein Wet Dog Food
If you are looking for a food that is high in protein for your American Bully but won’t break the bank, this is a fantastic option.
A great thing about this specific food is that you can purchase it in a multi-pack, and it’s specifically formulated to provide a high protein content to larger, more active dogs like American Bullies. This food is also great for picky eaters since it comes in a variety of different flavors, such as:
Bottom line: Purina has been around for years and generally produces good quality pet food. This food is perfect if you are looking for a reasonably priced wet food formulated with a high protein content.
- Contains a high amount of protein. High protein contents help dogs maintain muscle mass and energy, which is especially important for Bullies as they are extremely bulky.
- Contains extra moisture. Getting enough water into your Bullies diet can be tricky. So feeding them wet food can ensure they get more moisture in their daily diet.
- Promotes good bone health. This food contains Glucosamine, EPA, and Omega-3 fatty acids. All these help keep your pup’s bones and joints healthy for longer.
- Contains animal by-products. Essentially animal by-products are the discarded scrap animal products such as fat, blood, eggs, and flesh. This meat tends to be lower in quality and therefore is less desirable in pet food.
- It contains rice. This food is not entirely grain-free as it utilizes rice. Now, this can be both a good and a bad thing. Brown rice is excellent so long as your dog digests grain well.
Bottom line: Purina’s high-protein wet food is excellent, and you really can’t beat the price for so many cans. This wet food has fantastic reviews, and most dogs seem to enjoy it. Its high protein content full of unique animal protein is sure to be a hit with most Bullies.
Best for Older Bullies: Hill’s Science Diet Wet Dog Food, Adult 7+ for Senior Dogs, Beef & Barley Recipe
If you have a Bully who is getting older, you should consider switching to a wet food specially formulated for aging dogs. Luckily, Hill’s Science diet does a fantastic job of providing essential nutrients and protein for Bullies who have reached old age.
Another quality that makes this food so remarkable is that Hill’s is veterinarian recommended, and it’s made with high-quality proteins such as beef. Plus, Hill’s Science Diet (available on Amazon.com) prides itself on the number of vitamins and minerals each formula contains.
Bottom line: Hills offers plenty of different types of wet foods with high protein for any age. However, this is the best formula on the market for an aging American Bully.
- Great for dogs 7 years or older. If your dog is getting up there in age, then this food is a great option. It contains the essential nutrients for optimal health for your Bully in old age.
- Easy to digest. Hill’s wet food is designed to be gentle on your Bullies stomach. This means your dog will be less likely to develop intestinal distress or vomit the food.
- Quality protein. Whole meat like beef and chicken are used with the liver to make up most of the protein in this food.
- Contains antioxidants for aging health. Antioxidants are excellent because they help slow the aging process and ensure healthy skin, bones, and energy levels.
- Supports healthy skin and coat. Vitamins and minerals are essential to a healthy-looking dog. As your Bully ages, they will need more nutrients to maintain peak health.
- Recommended by veterinarians. Many vets swear by Hill’s Science Diet formulas, and it’s often recommended when you discuss what brand of food you should feed your dog.
- Expensive. It’s not the most expensive food, but as far as high-quality wet foods go, it’s relatively pricey.
- Has been recalled a few times. Most brands have had to issue a recall or two before. Just be sure to research recent recalls before serving your pup any dog food.
- Contains fillers. This canned food does contain some fillers like dried beet pulp and corn.
Best Puppy Formula: Solid Gold Love At First Bark Holistic Rich Food For Puppies Of All Sizes & Breeds
Next, I will discuss the best formula for your American Bully puppy. The most nutritionally important time in a dog’s life is when they are puppies. How well they are fed is essential to their future growth and health. So it’s crucial to select a good brand of wet food.
If you have a Bully puppy, I recommend the Solid Gold Loves At First Bark Wet Puppy Food (available on Amazon.com). This product is excellent because it’s created to promote growth in your puppies. Plus, it’s grain-free, high in potent, and relatively low in fat, which is perfect for an American Bully.
Bottom line: This is an excellent option if you are looking for a healthy formula for an American Bully puppy. Solid Gold uses quality ingredients and avoids unnecessary fillers like wheat and corn.
- Grain-free. Great for Bullies with sensitive stomachs or gluten intolerance. Consult your vet before switching your dog to a grain-free diet.
- Low in fat. A high-fat diet isn’t great for puppies. However, they do need a little healthy fat to grow big and healthy.
- High in protein. American Bullies need plenty of protein to support the growth and maintenance of their large muscles, making this food a great option.
- No fillers. All fillers have been cut from this formula and replaced with essential nutrient ingredients.
- Carrageenan-free. This means your pup will be less likely to develop gastrointestinal distress from consuming this wet food. Carrageenan is a preservative that often can cause stomach upset.
- No preservatives. Solid Gold also does a great job of creating healthy, well-balanced food without the use of any harmful preservatives.
- Smells unpleasant. The smell might be a draw for your pup, but it’s undoubtedly quite smelly for humans, so it may be best to feed your puppies outside.
- Picky eaters may not enjoy it. Some dogs don’t like this wet food, while others love it.
Below, you’ll find a chart I’ve created to depict each product’s nutrition and make the comparison easier for you. So let’s look at the best-wet foods side by side.
Best American Bully canned foods comparison chart:
|Brand Name||Protein Type||Nutrients||Nutrient Rating|
|Nutro Limited Ingredient Diet Premium Canned Dog Food||Chicken, chicken broth, chicken liver.||Potassium chloride, pyrophosphate, magnesium sulfate, choline chloride, calcium carbonate, vitamin E, vitamin A, biotin, B-12, vitamin D, etc.||4.7/5|
|Purina Pro Plan Sport High Protein Wet Food||Chicken, turkey, lamb, beef, bison, duck, quail, liver, meat by-products.||Potassium chloride, magnesium sulfate, fish oil, vitamin E, vitamin B-12, vitamin A, Folic Acid, etc.||4.5/5|
|Hill’s Science Diet Wet Dog Food, Adult 7+ for Senior Dogs, Beef & Barley Recipe||Beef, pork liver, chicken liver.||Calcium carbonate, dicalcium phosphate, potassium chloride, vitamin E, vitamin C, B-12, hydrochloride, biotin, folic acid, etc.||4.3/5|
|Solid Gold Love At First Bark Holistic Rich Food For Puppies Of All Sizes & Breeds||Beef, beef liver, dried egg whites, dried ground peas.||Phosphate, sodium phosphate, fish oil, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, choline chloride, vitamin E, vitamin A, manganese proteinate, biotin, B-12, folic acid, etc.||4.4/5|
As you can see, there are quite a few different protein types and nutrients in each of these wet foods for your Bully to enjoy. These products are packed with high amounts of protein, as well as essential vitamins and minerals for your pup’s health.
Frequently Asked Questions
Next, I will discuss a few frequently asked questions about American Bullies and their eating habits. So let’s take a quick look at how they feel about raw diets, foods they are allergic to, and how sensitive their stomachs actually are.
Do American Bullies Have Sensitive Stomachs?
American bullies can have sensitive stomachs. They tend to be more sensitive to gluten and food with too many fillers. Bullies also seem to have less intestinal distress when eating a diet that is lower in carbohydrates. If stomach problems persist, consult with a veterinarian right away.
What Foods Are American Bullies Allergic To?
American Bullies are allergic to foods like dairy, onions, garlic, caffeine, peaches, yeast, and grapes. Each dog will have different intolerances, but in general, it’s best to avoid these sorts of food to ensure your Bully’s overall health. Bullies also often develop intolerances to gluten.
Will an American Bully Benefit From a Raw Diet?
An American Bully can benefit from a raw diet. However, a raw diet isn’t necessary to maintain a healthy body. In fact, many vets discourage raw diets since they can make it difficult to ensure your dog gets enough necessary vitamins and minerals from their food.
Ultimately, there’s a wide range of wet foods on the market that will be great for your American Bully. However, the best one is undoubtedly the Nutro Adult High Protein Natural Wet Dog Food. The price is great, the ingredients excellent, and it contains a high protein content which is essential for muscular dogs like Bullies.
- 4 Best Dog Foods for American Bully
- What Can I Feed My Bully To Build Muscle? Let’s Find Out!
- American Bully vs. American Bulldog
- American Bully Growth Chart
- Can You Run With an American Bully? Let’s Find Out!
- Why Do American Bullies Smell? Let’s Find Out
- How Much Does an American Bully Cost? (Let’s Find Out)